What’s the Difference Between OneDrive and SharePoint? – Instructional article – This post consistently drove traffic to the site via organic search and referrals, and comments showed me how informative and helpful the piece was.
Workflows in Action: Georgetown Day School Depends on BetterCloud for Cloud IT Automation and Security – Case study – This case study was crucial for supporting a new product launch, supporting both sales and marketing efforts.
3 Things We Love About Microsoft’s Focus on Innovation – Longform blog post – Coming to a Google Apps-based organization from my previous role at Microsoft was challenging but fun. It’s reflected in this piece.
Portfolio / Selected Pieces
State of Colorado Saves $100,000 With BetterCloud – I wrote this case study without conducting a formal interview; instead, I used recordings of calls and articles written for other purposes in order to cobble together what became a key piece of sales collateral.
Upserve Relies on BetterCloud for Cloud IT Solutions – This case study is typical of those I wrote about customers, highlighting their usage of cloud office systems.
The Ultimate Guide to Office 365 – This 20-page guide was originally available only via a form, and helped generate leads for the business.
The Ultimate Guide to OneNote – Following in the footsteps of the Office 365 guide, I wrote the copy and compiled the resources/links for this download.
Note: these short pieces (as well as many above) were originally published on my company’s now-defunct content marketing site, 365ninja.com, written strategically to capture leads in the Microsoft Office ecosystem. While the site has since been merged into another blog, the stats I cite below are from the original incarnation of 365 Ninja, live from November 2014 to April 2016.
- How to Delete an Unwanted Blank Page in Word – I wrote and recorded this upon discovering how frustratingly difficult it is to get rid of blank pages in a Word document, and there wasn’t a single simple solution. The post went on to become by far the most visited page on the entire site (including the homepage), with 15% of overall pageviews and 23% of all organic search traffic in the final month of the site. The featured video got 150,000 unpaid/unsponsored views in less than ten months from publication.
- 10 Tips and Tricks That Will Make You a OneNote Ninja – This listicle-style post was consistently in the top ten most-visited pages on the site, and garnered the all-time most referral traffic of any post.
- What to Do When Your Office Application Won’t Open – This basic troubleshooting piece represents a common technique I used to engage readers and serve their needs: I corralled many pieces of disparate information, and combined references to existing content with my own clear step-by-step instructions (including a video I created and edited).
Microsoft Office tips & tricks:
- How to Import/Migrate Gmail Contacts to Outlook
- How to Recall Messages in Outlook
- Change the Default Landing Page in Office 365
- How to Use Conditional Formatting in Excel
- How to Create Motion Path Animation in PowerPoint
- Clean Up Blank Rows and Columns in an Excel Spreadsheet
- How to Create a SharePoint Blog
- How to Share Large Files in Office 365 Using OneDrive for Business
- Modify and Customize the AutoCorrect in Word
- How to Use Simple Formulas in Excel
- Use the Eyedropper to Match Any Color in PowerPoint
- How to Replicate/Concatenate Data Across Cells in Excel
- How to Create a Dynamic Form in Word
- Create Email Signatures in Outlook
- How to Install and Use a PowerPoint Template
- How to Schedule a Skype for Business Video/Audio Call
- How to Embed a PowerPoint Presentation on a Webpage
- Set up Automatic (Out of Office) Replies in Outlook
- How to Attach an Email to Another Email in Outlook
- How to Connect to Office 365 Using PowerShell
- How to Create a Survey Using Excel
- Encrypt Word, PowerPoint, and Excel Files With a Password
- How to Use Word 2013 or 2016 to Open up a Google Doc
- How to Use the Format Painter in Office: Our Favorite Tip for Cleaning up Formatting
- How to Track Changes in Word 2013 or 2016
- How to Check for Office 365 Service Disruptions
- How to Use Clutter for Office 365
Listicles, compliations, and other articles:
- What’s the Difference Between Office 365 and Office 2013?
- What to Do if Your Outlook Emails Get Stuck in the Outbox or Send Slowly
- Introduction to Office Mix for PowerPoint
- 5 Essential Tips for Excel Beginners
- All About Outlook Add-ins (and How to Disable Them)
- Recap: 10 Ways to Work More Efficiently With OneDrive for Business
- 3 Easy Ways to Save to OneDrive for Business
- Be More Productive By Disabling Notifications in Office 365
- What Does Office 365 Have That Office 2013 Doesn’t?
- 3 Essential Collaboration Tips for Word Documents
- 4 Necessary Tasks for the Beginner IT Admin
- Addressing the “Something Went Wrong” Error Message During Office 365 Installation
- Collaboration and Co-Authoring in Word Online: How It Works
- 7 Things to Do Immediately if You’re Using Office 2013 or 2016
- Top 4 Takeaways from Microsoft WPC’s Partner Vision Keynote
- 12 Fun Ways to Use OneNote Outside of the Office
- How to Create Beautiful PowerPoint Slides (Even if You’re Not a Designer)
- 5+ Time-Saving Steps to Take Charge of Your Office 365 Inbox
- Can You Run Office 2013 or 2016 Without Internet Access?
- 4 Beginner Tips on OneDrive for Business
- 4 Steps to Ensure Your Office 365 Account Hasn’t Been Compromised
- 5 Key Takeaways From Reinventing Productivity With Office 365 at Ignite
- 3 Productivity and Security Tools that Make Office 365 Even Better
- Top 8 Tips for Getting Started With Outlook
- What is Office Delve?
- How to Use OneNote to Take Awesome Meeting Notes
- Remotely Wipe an Office 365 Device, Whether You’re an Admin or Not
- 3 Ways to Link in OneNote
- 3 Easy Ways to Save to OneDrive for Business
- How to Get Better Backlinks for Google Play Store Success
- The Ultimate Apple App Store Pre-Launch ASO Checklist
- iMessage Apps: Why and How to Take Advantage of the Opportunity
- How to Optimize Apple App Store Preview Videos
- Singular vs Plural Keywords: Which Should You Target for ASO?
- How to Find Your Competitors’ Best App Store Keywords
- Run an App Flash Sale Campaign: Boost Your Long-Term Downloads With a Short-Term Price Drop
- 24 Amazing Resources for App Icon Design Inspiration (and help)
- How to Write a Magnetic Google Play App Description and Get More Downloads
- Long-Tail ASO Keywords Explained: Why Every App Publisher Must Use Them
- First Steps for Your IT Job Search
- 10 IT Conferences to Advance Your Career
- 8 Benefits of AWS
- Connecting the Dots: Programming, SQL, and IT
- Transitioning from the Lone IT Pro to a Team
- 21 Best Black Friday Steals for IT Pros
- First Day on the Job: Do’s and Don’ts
- 5 Simple Ways to Be a Better Googler
Misc / Personal
How to Move to New York City Without Losing Your Savings or Your Mind – Personal essay – After living in the city for two years, I wrote up some of my best advice for keeping your head straight and your bank account padded while you’re pondering (and executing) a big move.
How I Work From Home Happily – Not as easy as it may seem.
An Understanding of Next IT IVAs – I wrote this piece a little earlier on in my career, and I have always liked it (despite the uninspiring headline, which I did not choose).